Antique Clocks/Memhard and Milller Carriage Clock

Memhard and Miller Carriage Clock
Memhard and Miller Car  

Memhard and Miller Carriage Clock 2.
Memhard and Miller Car  

I was doing research on what I believe is an old French-style carriage clock for a family estate but haven't had much luck in finding the historical background behind "Memhard", the name printed on the clock's face. I've seen numerous references to "Miller" clocks but nothing connected to Memhard as of yet. The clock also has "Spokane-Wash" beneath "Memhard & Miller" and unfortunately, I couldn't locate a company by that title in present or past Spokane, Washington. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a French clock from about 1890. Any maker's mark would be on the backplate but there is often no name on these. So I'm afraid I can't help with the maker. Memhard & Miller was the retailer and ordered imported clocks with their name on them.
I just put Memhard & Miller into Google. I got 2 hits, one of which is an ad from the Spokane Daily Chronicle from 1890. They were a jewelry store located in the Paulsen Building. I don't know how to send a link here so copy and paste this into your browser address bar.

or put Memhard & Miller into your favorite search engine.  

Antique Clocks

Barry W Macomber

My experience is mostly with 19th century American clocks. I can answer repair questions and can identify most clocks of this period. I cannot answer questions about non-American clocks.

Many years buying, selling, and collecting American clocks.

NAWCC 14,915

No formal education in this area.