Antique Clocks/Schlenker Clock

Question
Clock back
Clock back  
Clock Front
Clock Front  
QUESTION: I found this clock when cleaning out my aunt's house.  Can you tell me anything about it.

ANSWER: this looks like a German made striking clock. It uses a vertical staff balance wheel, hence does not have to be exactly level to operate properly. I see it uses three chime bars, it is possibly a bim bam hour strike and uses the third chime bar to identify the half hour. I checked with a German exchange student and she had not heard of this particular brand. I could not make out the writing on the back of the movement. It looks like it might say US Zone which would identify it of German origin.

I have a carriage clock with a very similar movement I carry in my motorhome and it operates very well even while traveling.

There were many manufacturers of clock cases and relatively few of movement makers. Many times the movement maker did not identify the movement and the case manufacturer gave it a name.

Since you do not know the maintenance history of this clock I would strongly recommend you lubricate it before setting it up to operate. I have found most household oils such as sewing machine oil work quite well on clocks. Special clock oils are available from organizations such as Merrits (www.merritts.com) are possibly better. Be certain to get at all of the pivot points and gear pinions with either the nozzle of the can or broom straw. It will probably be necessary to remove the movement in order to get everything lubricated well. If the main springs are accessible put a drop or so on them also.

Looks like a very beautiful clock and hopefully you will get a great deal of enjoyment out of it.  I would guess it to be post world war 2. Since the country of origin is normally marked on imported items, the term Germany should appear somewhere. Prior to German reunification in 1989, the term US Zone or made in west Germany was used to identify the country of origin. Since then the term made in Germany would appear.

Marking
Marking  
QUESTION: This is a clearer image of the markings on the back of the clock.  Is it possible to date it closer with this mark and would you have any idea of the value of the clock?

Answer
The initials FHS does not ring any bells with me. Since there is no country of origin marked on the movement it could possibly have been made by one of several clock makers who succomb to foreign competition. That clock dial looking portion of the symbol could have indicated the month of manufacture or even the time of day it was manufactured. It appears to be an engraving which involves some kind of computer control.

Sorry I can not be more help. If I come across any more information on this, I will get back with you.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams