Antique Clocks/seth thomas selfwinding clock

Question
I recently  purchased a Seth thomas 86 A   selfwinding clock   first one i ever owned,,,     only has one wire coming from the clock to where the batterys   go   is there a special way to hook up batterys  any help  will be nice   thank you

Answer
Seth Thomas became a part of General Time Instruments Corp. in, I believe, 1931. Westclox of LaSalle, IL, joined General Time a little bit later. Eventually, the term Instruments was dropped from the name. Recently the Seth Thomas factory in Thomaston, CT, closed and all manufacturing was diverted to Georgia and overseas.

I have a few of these battery operated mechanical clocks in my collection. Unfortunately they are up North and I am in FL for the winter and cannot see how the wires are connected. In all cases, there is a red wire which goes to the positive terminal of the battery and a black which goes to the negative. If you remove the movement you will probably find where a wire has been broken off the movement. If this is a non transistor clock, polarity of the lead wires probably will not be critical. Generally the red wire goes to a contact which turns on either a motor or winding solenoid and the negative goes to the movement side plates. These are soldered on and are easity broken off which probably has happened in your case.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams