Antique Clocks/Daneker The York County Clock

I bought a Daneker "The York County" clock at an estate auction. I do not have any instructions for it. I have a key. How do I wind the clock? There are two slots in the front. I want to make sure I do not overwind it. Also how do I get it to chime correctly? Thank you for your assistance. I have always wanted a clock but I do not know anything about them.

Daneker made quite a variety of clock styles including floor, wall and mantle clocks. It appears to have been a German company.

The two holes will definitely be for winding it. If a key came with it, this would simply be inserted in the hole and over the winding arbor and turned. Turn it until it stops turning. If it is a pendulum clock, hand the pendulum on its hook and see if it will run.

Most of the clocks 100 years old or older use a counting wheel chime mechanism. It was necessary to synchronize the chime with the hands if something caused them to get out of synchronization. To keep it in sync it should be turned forward only except it may be set back a few minutes provided it is not turned while it is approaching the hour mark. turning it back an hour when going from daylight saving time to standard time is best by stopping the pendulum for 1 hour. If you stop it too long, simply start it and set it forward to the correct time. Be certain when turning it forward each time it begins to chime stop turning the hands until the chime cycle is complete, then proceed with setting it.

To synchronize the chime on these clocks, first set the clock to the correct time. Then wait till 35 minutes after the hour, turn the hour hand forward until you hear the chime mechanism cock, then turn the hour hand backwards until it chimes. Note what hour it chimes. If it does not chime the previous hour, repeat the process until it does. then set the clock to the correct time.

Clocks built in the last 100 years generally used a rack and snail movement. This automatically synchronized the chime with the hands if the hands were installed correctly.
If this is the case, turn the hands until it chimes an hour. If the minute hand is pointing down at this time, remove the nut or pin which holds it on and reinstall the minute hand correctly. If the hour hand is pointing at the wrong hour, gently turn it to indicate the correct hour.

i would strongly recommend this clock be oiled before it is used extensively. I have found most household oils such as sewing machine oil works quite well for this purpose. However, there are oils available from organizations such as Merritts ( and Timesavers ( specifically refined for lubricating clocks. It is generally necessary to remove the movement to do this, although a broom straw can be used to be certain all of the pivot points are oiled.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family