Antique Clocks/dutch zaandam clock

Question
hello i have 2 dutch zaandam clocks from my grandad i was just wondering if you could give me any signs to look for to tell whether is real or a replica as i wish to sell them on and have no idea myself thankyou

Answer
Zaandam built clocks for a good many years. One identifying characteristic of really old clocks (approx. 100 years old) is they used counting wheel strike. These clocks did not automatically synchronize the strike with the position of the hands. Newer clocks all used rack and snail movements which allow you to turn the hands rapidly in a forward direction and will automatically coordinate the strike (and chime) within an hour or so. Clocks built within the last 75 to 100 years. I do not  know of any replica Zaandam clocks except Zaandam may have repeated some of their older styles. A sign of a very new Zaandam would be its use of a Hermle movement in some styles.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams