Antique Clocks/8 Day Wall Clock

I have owned a 8 Day Wall Clock since 1968 and have never had any problems. It strikes on the hour and the half hour. I was out of town for a week and of course the clock had stopped.  I wound the clock and set to the correct time.  I noticed the other night, the clock was showing 10:30 and struck 10 times instead of 1 time.  What do I do to get the time and the striking correct.

At some point when the minute hand is heading toward the 6 push the minuter hand past 6 and right up to 12. It may start striking at 6 but do not wait for it to strike. Go right up to 12 and let it finish striking. It should now be striking the hour at 12 and the half at 6. However, the strike will be 1 hour behind the hands. (e g It will strike 10 at 11:00.) Now gently push the hour hand back so it agrees with the strike. Now set the clock as usual.
If you have any questions, write to me directly.

Antique Clocks

Barry W Macomber

My experience is mostly with 19th century American clocks. I can answer repair questions and can identify most clocks of this period. I cannot answer questions about non-American clocks.

Many years buying, selling, and collecting American clocks.

NAWCC 14,915

No formal education in this area.