Antique Clocks/Mantel Clock

Question
Front
Front  

Back
Back  
I recently received this mantel clock as an anniversary gift and am trying to figure out exactly what model that we have and who it's made by.  It isn't currently working, but appears to have all of its original parts, including its key and I'd like to get it repaired I just need to know what it is so I can tell people when I call to ask if they can fix it :)  Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

Answer
What you have there is called a Tambour mantle clock. This is commonly referred to as a hat clock because of the shape of the case. Since it has three winding points it chimes on the quarter hour and strikes the hour on the hour after it chimes. it is probably a Westminster chime although there are a couple of other chime melodies that have been used. The center winding point is for the time and the ones on the right and left are for chime and strike.

It probably will run if it is oiled. Oiling requires removal of the movement as there are many pivot points on a Westminster. They are probably dry and if not lubricated will wear. If you are mechanically minded you can do this yourself using household oils such as used on a sewing machine. There are clock oils available from organizations such as Merritts (www.merritts.com) and Timesavers (www.timesavers.com).

When you are discussing this with a jeweler or a clock shop you can describe it as a key wound mechanical mantle clock with a Westminster chime and he will know what you mean.

I do not recognize the Schroeder trademark. Possibly this was the name of the shop that either sold or serviced the clock later in its life.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams