Antique Clocks/seth thomas clock

Question
I just purchased a Seth Thomas starlight clock at a estate sale. the battery at one time corroded in it but it did not damage the battery box. it do however run down the casing, how can I clean this properly. and is there any valve in the clock. I only paid $5 for it.

Answer
If the case is made out of plastic it probably can be cleaned with almost any soap or detergent. If this does not work try baking soda water. Unfortunately baking soda is somewhat abrasive so be careful in its use.

If the affected case parts are made of wood, use Murphy's Oil soap and it should clean nicely.

For painted metal, use the same procedure as you would use on plastic. Bright metal surfaces I use a metal cleaner such as Maas.  

Battery operated clocks do not seem to have taken on any antique type value yet as they are not old enough. it sounds like you got a good deal at $5.  In time it will be worth quite a bit, I am certain. Ebay had starlight clocks for $5. but no Seth Thomas ones.

Seth Thomas is a very old name in clocks going back to the early 1800's. They merged along with Westclox and joined General Time Corp, in a suburb of Atlanta, GA. Where they are currently manufacturing clocks, I do not know, but thought you might like that little tidbit.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams