Antique Clocks/value of hall clock

I am contemplating the purchase of a 1920 Revere 5 tube Warren Telechron hall clock that appears to be in good condition but am unsure of value. Can you give me some range?  I don't know if it is in working order.  Also if it isn't, what would the chance be to find parts for it? Thank you for your help!!

Tall case Westminster chime clocks vary greatly in asking price. I once went to an auction where an older weight driven clock with a cloth cord for the internal light could not draw a $100. bid. I paid as little as $75 for a grandmother clock (not an antique). There is one on ebay for $12,000 but it has not sold yet. A working clock always has more value so be sure to plug it in, if that can be done safely. Since it was built before 1934 yours probably has a cloth cord which will probably have to be replaced. You can get such cords at RadioDaze ( or Antique Electronic Supply (

I have not been successful at getting parts for the antique telechron or General Electric clocks, however I have been quite successful in cleaning and re-lubricating the existing motors. I do this by drilling a 1/16th diameter hole in the exact center of the motors end cap. Be sure to place something over the drill bit so it can not extend too far into the motor and damage something. Squirt it full of carbeurator cleaner and shake this around a little bit. I then take it outside and place the magnetic coil core over the end cap and plug it in and let it run for a while. Be certain not to generate and sparks near the motor as carb cleaner is quite flammable. After it runs for a few minutes, shake the motor again and drain the cleaner. you may have to use a blow dryer to heat the motor to expel the fluid. If not all of the fluid has been removed allow the motor to cool and repeat the warming procedure, again doing this outside and not generating any sparks near the motor. When all of the cleaner has been expelled, I squirt in a small amount of automatic transmission fluid and the clock seems to do quite well.

Mr. Warren was a pioneer in the  development of self starting electric clocks. Because, back in the early 1900's the electric utilities did not do a very good job of maintaining accurate control of line frequency. A frequency of 60.5hz was good enough for light bulbs and electric motors that would cause a clock  to gain 30 seconds every hour. This figures out to be 12 minutes a day and 1 hour and 12 minutes in a week the clock would be off.

Again, there are books available regarding pricing which I do not possess. As you can see from reading prices on ebay- asking prices vary greatly.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family