Antique Clocks/Attaching pendulum

Question
Connection Piece
Connection Piece  

Connection Piece
Connection Piece  
Hi Tom,  Thank you for being available to answer questions! This is an antique floor clock from my parents & I'm not able to figure out how to attach the pendulum. My brother moved it a couple of times & now I don't know if there is a part missing or if I'm just not seeing how to attach the connection piece for the pendulum properly.  Including pictures.  Wondering what the notch is for -- can't find anyway to use it & with the piece attached the way it is in the last picture - it feels like it's about to slide off. Thank you! (Have other pictures but just discovered that you can only upload 2 pictures.  Hope these help.) Again, Thank you!

Answer
You are right, there is something missing. It is called the suspension rod. At the top it has a very small leaf spring which hooks to a post at the center top of the clocks movement. It extends down through the loop on the verge where you are now hanging the pendulum. it has a pin at the end which the pendulum hangs on. Look in the bottom of your clock case, it may have fallen there. If it is not there, you might be able to get one from Merritts (www.merritts.com) or Timesavers (www.timesavers.com). If not, you can make one by buying a suspension spring from one of these organizations and fastening it to a rod. The tricky part will be drilling the very small hole required for the pin at the bottom and to fasten it to the suspension spring. The length of the rod is quite critical, start with it fairly long then if you cannot speed the clock up enough shorten it a few inches and try again.

If the suspension spring is broken you will see part of it still in the post. These quite often get broken if the clock is jarred while moving it with the pendulum attached. Hopefully, this will not be the case and you will find the rod at the bottom of the case.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams