Antique Clocks/clock winding

Question
HI..HAVE JUST INHERITED A MID 1800'S ITHACA GRANDFATHER CLOCK...
NOT A CALENDAR CLOCK, BUT SUPPOSEDY IT CHIMES ON THE QUARTER
HOUR AND THE HOURLY CHIME INDICATES THE TIME....DUNNO....HAVE
NO IDEA HOW TO WIND IT!!  HAS TWO WINDING PLACES AND I WAS
AFRAID TO ATTEMPT TO WIND IT FOR FEAR OF DOING IT THE WRONG
DIRECTION.....ANY HELP FROM Y'ALLS?  THANKS...BARBARA

Answer
I assume this is a spring driven clock? Ithaca did make these with weight driven movements. Either way the procedure is about the same. The winding hole on the right powers the time and will wind counter-clockwise. The left one is for the strike and could wind in either direction. Ithaca did not make their own time-strike movements but contracted different makers for them. Some turn right and others turn left. Wind the time first so you will know what it should feel like. Wind each until you can feel the pressure tighten as the spring is wound. It's hard to describe how much to wind a spring. When in doubt, don't force anything. It's not impossible for it to strike quarters but I have never seen one. Probably just hours and halves.  

Antique Clocks

Barry W Macomber