Antique Clocks/Dualite Clock disassembly

I have an old Dualite Briggs and Stratton 120v clock and I need to put a new bulb in it. I followed the instructions on the back and unscrewed the second arm, removed knurled knob to take off the minute arm. The instructions say to gently lift straight up to remove the hour arm but it won't budge. Any ideas on how to get this off. thanks

Sometimes hour hands are difficult to remove. They are pressed on to a tapered sleeve which turns on the minute hand staff. I have found sometimes you have to turn the hour hand while you pull up on it to budge it loose. Sometimes you have to even use pliers to do this turning. Try not to squeeze too hard as you can damage the hand doing it with pliers. If you damage the paint it can be touched up before re installing. Sometimes a lubricant such as liquid wrench is helpful in removing a hand also.

Professional clock makers use a puller which is also useful for disassembling gears. This puller would have to push on some kind of tubular adapter while pulling an hour hand as you want to be pushing on the hour hand sleeve rather than the second hand staff to prevent damage to the movement. Such a puller is available from Merritts ( for around $20. However, I think if you gently turn the hand it will pop loose and come off.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family