Antique Clocks/Mantal clock age

Question
My mother has given me a mantle clock, so not interested in selling but do want to find the age, and can not find anything but pictures that look like it.  It is a Bulova Tempus Fugit Mantle clock.  serial number 340020. thought you may know by the serial numbers.

Answer
If this is a battery clock, using a quartz movement, it is probably 20 or 30 years old. If it is a battery clock using a mechanical movement it may be a bit older.

I have in my radio collection a Bulova table radio which appears to have been built in the 1950's, thus a mechanical clock could have built in this time frame. bulova was, of course, noted for their fine watches and wanted to branch out to increase overall sales and give the jewelers something else to sell.

Most clocks and radios used in the US were built in the US until about 1960. Through the 60's and 70's many were built in Germany and Japan. More recently, China has been the favorite location for manufacturing this kind of object.

Merritts (www.merritts.com) has some books on American and Foreign clocks, however, the price of a complete library would be $1000. and I have not wanted to spend that much on my hobby.

I hope this helps you some. I did search ebay for your particular clock and they have one pictured with a bid of $24.99. You can search ebay.com and see if this looks like your clock.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams