Antique Clocks/Elgin 31 day Clock Chimes

We are having a problem with the chiming on 10:00, 11:00 and 12:00. It seems to chime fine until it hits these, and then it loses a chime, i.e.; 10:00 it will chime 9 times instead of ten.
Thanks for your help,

The most common cause of this problem is the need to clean and oil the movement. The old oil gets gummy and does not allow the counting rack to drop all the way down to chime the higher numbers. The rack in the click which helps in counting are located behind the face of the clock. It will probably be necessary to remove both the click and the rack (actually a gear sector). These are generally held in place by snap rings.  Be careful when removing these snap rings as they like to fly through the air and disappear. I have not found these readily available and remove one from an old tape player when I lose one. Carburetor cleaner seems to work well for cleaning clocks and clock parts. Be careful using carb cleaner as it is extremely flammable. I generally spray it only outdoors. The entire movement probably does not need to be clean as much as the click and rack. To clean the pivot hole in these parts, put the straw that comes with the cleaner in place and squirt through the hole. Wipe the stud the parts run on with a rag moistened in carb cleaner or oil to remove all the varnish that may have accumulated. Lubricate the clock with a household oil such as sewing machine oil. Specialized clock oils are available from organizations such as Merritts or Timesavers  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family