Antique Clocks/Elgin 31 day Clock Chimes

Question
We are having a problem with the chiming on 10:00, 11:00 and 12:00. It seems to chime fine until it hits these, and then it loses a chime, i.e.; 10:00 it will chime 9 times instead of ten.
Thanks for your help,
Dan

Answer
The most common cause of this problem is the need to clean and oil the movement. The old oil gets gummy and does not allow the counting rack to drop all the way down to chime the higher numbers. The rack in the click which helps in counting are located behind the face of the clock. It will probably be necessary to remove both the click and the rack (actually a gear sector). These are generally held in place by snap rings.  Be careful when removing these snap rings as they like to fly through the air and disappear. I have not found these readily available and remove one from an old tape player when I lose one. Carburetor cleaner seems to work well for cleaning clocks and clock parts. Be careful using carb cleaner as it is extremely flammable. I generally spray it only outdoors. The entire movement probably does not need to be clean as much as the click and rack. To clean the pivot hole in these parts, put the straw that comes with the cleaner in place and squirt through the hole. Wipe the stud the parts run on with a rag moistened in carb cleaner or oil to remove all the varnish that may have accumulated. Lubricate the clock with a household oil such as sewing machine oil. Specialized clock oils are available from organizations such as Merritts www.merritts.com or Timesavers www.timesavers.com.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams