Antique Clocks/Seth Thomas Mantle Antique Clock

Question
Hello Mr Williams,

I recently acquired a fully functional Seth Thomas Clock Mantle Clock (Lynton-2W 8-Day Keywound Clock With Strike Movement Catalog No. 1200. Stamp on brass: MADE IN GERMANY FOR SETH THOMAS DIVISION GENERAL TIME CORP THOMASONCOMMUS <- The rest is covered by lever A A208-005 TWO (2) JEWELS 7403). I noticed it strikes 12 bells at the 2 o'clock position. Its seems the striking is off 2 positions.  Should it not strike 12 bells at 12 o'clock, 1 bell for 1 o'clock, 2 bells for 2 o'clock, and so on.  It strikes 1 bell on the half hour which seems appropriate.

I Look forward to hearing from you on how to correct this.

Sincerely,

Brannon

Answer
It sounds like someone bumped the hour hand while turning the minute hand to set the clock. All you have to do is move the hour hand back two hours and it should function as designed. The hour hand is a gentle friction fit on the tapered sleeve which also carries the strike snail. After turning the hour hand to the correct position, you probably should push it toward the clock face with your two thumb nails to be certain it is tight.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams