Antique Clocks/Silence chimes

Other than letting the chimes run down - and I am not sure which of the three windings does that - is there a way to silence the chimes. It's a Bulova Westminster triple wind mantle clock. It says 340-020A on the movement.

Looking at a picture of the 240-020 Hermle built movement I see a lever sticking out from between the movement and the clock face. This lever is on the left looking at the front of the clock and on the right looking from the back. There is a hole in the lever to attach a wire for remote operation of this lever. I am not exactly certain what this lever does but think it may be a shut off for the chime and strike.

The center winding arbor is for the time and the left facing the face is probably for the chime. The right one is then for the strike. This clock does not use a pendulum but has a hairspring and balance wheel for timekeeping.

Another method of silencing chimes is to tie the hammers up so they can not drop to the chime bars. Still an alternative to this would be to place a soft cloth or tab so they cannot hit the chime bars.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family