Antique Clocks/Vienna Regulator chime sync.

We have just taken possession of a "family heitloom" in the form of this lovely Vienna Regulator clock. It is running fine but is chiming two hours slow,ie, at 7am it chimes five times etc. The clock has just been overhauled. Is there a simple method of synchronizing the chimes to the time?

If this clock was manufactured within the last 100 years, it probably has a rack and snail chime control in the movement. On these clocks you synchronize the hands with the chime as follows:

Turn the minute hand until it begins to strike leaving the minute hand in the straight up position.
Turn the hour hand until it agrees with the strike count.

The hour hand is a gentle friction fit onto the tapered sleeve so turning the hand should be no problem.

I repaired a cuckoo clock for a lady once and she was satisfied with the job, however, later she told me the cuckoo was out of sync with the hour hand. I told her she apparently bumped the hour hand while setting the clock and to move the hour hand to agree with the cuckoo. She did it successfully and now her clock runs fine.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family