Antique Clocks/Zandaam Clock

Question
I bought this clock but received the wrong pendulum.  Can you tell me the correct rod length.  I believe this is an 8 day type.  It has a Hermle 261-080A movement and it is marked 31 cm which I believe is supposed to be the total length from the top of the top post, but it does not seem that total length would fit in the case.  Anyway, it is the rod length that I need.

Answer
Yes, this Zandaam movement uses a 31cm pendulum drop. The pendulum length (drop) is defined as the distance between the center shaft center and the bottom of the rating assembly. I interpret this to mean the clearance. This center shaft, of course, is the shaft which carries the hour and minute hands.

Because the pendulum length determines the beat rate of the clock there is no way to use a shorter pendulum, although I did know a friend who installed an antique court house clock in an ordinary room by extending the pendulum upward above the pivot point to increase the moment of inertia. If you are stuck having to use this movement in a case not long enough for the required 31cm clearance, let me know and we will discuss this further.

Another approach might be to extend the pendulum into a routed depression in the clocks base.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams