Antique Clocks/Bim bam chime sounds like doorbell.

Question
I just purchased a new movement for my old wall clock.  It is a MQB-496. Unfortunately, the bim bam chime sounds just like our door bell.  Is there any way I can modify the MQB to have a single chime instead of the bim bam.

Answer
I looked up that movement part number you gave me and noticed it uses mechanical chime bars rather than a loud speaker to produce the sound. The simplest thing to do is tie one of the hammers in the raised position so it cannot contact the chime bar. This way you will only either get a bim or a bam,  which ever you prefer. Possibly you could interchange the two bars, however I do not know how appealing this would sound.

You might change the sound of your doorbell if this is possible. We have one which can be programed in many ways.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams