Antique Clocks/Clocks age

Question
Hi Tom:  Recently picked up a Plymouth mantle clock .. 8 day pendulum type with the letters 891m stamped into a bar in the back....Any way I can get an idea of how old the clock is?

Many thanks,
Richard

Answer
I am sure your Plymouth clock was made by Seth Thomas. They started using the Plymouth name in 1930 but also marketed under the Seth Thomas name. They were manufactured in Thomaston, CT. The town was originally called Plymouth but was renamed Thomaston after the clock maker in the late 1800's.

It is my opinion this was an attempt to increase the number of outlets selling Seth Thomas clocks. This is quite often done, ie General Motors having having overlapping models of Buick and Cadillac and the former Oldsmobile.

Sorry for the delay in responding but our Internet was down for a time and became very busy yesterday.

I would guess the clock to be about 70 to 80 years old as the Plymouth appeared to not be used before 1930 and I do not believe it was used after WWII.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams