Antique Clocks/Clocks age

Hi Tom:  Recently picked up a Plymouth mantle clock .. 8 day pendulum type with the letters 891m stamped into a bar in the back....Any way I can get an idea of how old the clock is?

Many thanks,

I am sure your Plymouth clock was made by Seth Thomas. They started using the Plymouth name in 1930 but also marketed under the Seth Thomas name. They were manufactured in Thomaston, CT. The town was originally called Plymouth but was renamed Thomaston after the clock maker in the late 1800's.

It is my opinion this was an attempt to increase the number of outlets selling Seth Thomas clocks. This is quite often done, ie General Motors having having overlapping models of Buick and Cadillac and the former Oldsmobile.

Sorry for the delay in responding but our Internet was down for a time and became very busy yesterday.

I would guess the clock to be about 70 to 80 years old as the Plymouth appeared to not be used before 1930 and I do not believe it was used after WWII.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family