Antique Clocks/Seth thomas clock

Question
seth Thomas clock
seth Thomas clock  

dial
dial  
i do own an antique seth thomas clock which i would like to know some details about

i have attached a photograph of my clock and its in working condition, its label is not available. though i checked through internet i was not able to have a proper description

please be kind enough to tell me when this clock was made , and the around value of it.

as there are little damages on the wooden box , i hope to repaint it , will it be good or just leaving it as it is will be better.

thank you very much

Answer
Seth Thomas built that style of clock for approximately 150 years. It is difficult to say how old it is based on the style of the case. I see the minute hand is held on by a tapered pin. This would indicate that it is probably at least 100 years old. Also, approximately 100 years ago clocks began to be equipped with rack and snail chime controls which automatically synchronizes the chime with the hands. Older clocks use counting wheel movements which had to be synchronized whenever the chime was allowed to run down or someone turned the hands improperly.

We saw a clock similar to yours on www.ebay.com for a buy it now price of $389.00. However, there were no bids on it as yet and based on what I have seen clocks sell for at auctions I suspect it would go for around $200-$300.

Whatever you do - do NOT paint the case as this brings down the value of the clock. Just use a solution of Murphy's Oil soap and clean the case very good. If there are scratches on the case, use some Old English scratch remover to cover them.

If you wish to improve the appearance of the face - you can probably replace it with one purchased from Merritts (www.merritts.com). Be certain to keep the old face so the clock can be returned to its original condition.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams