Antique Clocks/waterbury

Question
I have a waterbury movement pat'd sept 22 1874.  It has a 36 tooth escape wheel and no other markings. How can I find out how long the suspension spring and pendulum should be? Or what kind of clock this came from? The spring/pendulum from another waterbury -same date, but marked 5 3/8 does not seem to work. I cleaned and bushed the movement and am pretty sure it would run if I could figure out the sus/pendulum combination length. Its like I can't get it in beat no matter what. I am trying to put this in a kitchen case. Could this movement be out of some type of wall clock? Thanks for your time and any assistance.  Bob

Answer
It's hard to say what this came out of. Here is a trick I read in the NAWCC Bulletin many years ago. Set the movement on a testing stand that will allow for a long pendulum. Take a rod about 18" long. Unbend a medium size paperclip. Hold one end of it against the rod and wrap it around the rod in a spiral. You should have 5-10 turns. Bent a hook in the bottom end. Now take the paperclip off and squeeze it slightly so it will fit tightly around the rod when slipped back on. You can now slide this up and down with a pendulum on the hook. Move it then run the movement. Repeat until it keeps time. If you have questions, write to my email. barry@barrysbargains.com

Antique Clocks

Barry W Macomber