Antique Clocks/clock setting

antique Sessions clock 8 day -- to set the time -- Do I move the minute hand manually and in what direction?

Virtually all clocks with a hinged glass crystal or lens are set by turning the minute hand directly. I believe Sessions clocks can be turned either direction, but I prefer to turn the hand forward only. Be care not to bump the hour hand as it is on a taper and is easily disturbed. If you do bump it , it is an easy matter to return it to its original position. After this happens you may find it necessary to push it slightly toward the face with your finger nails.

Toward the top of the clock face there is probably an access for speeding up or slowing down the clock so it keeps accurate time. this is accessed with the small end of the winding key. They go to this front access to avoid having to disturb the pendulum while servicing the clock.

Since you recently obtained this clock I would recommend lubricating it if this has not already been done. I usually use a common household oil such as sewing machine oil, but you can purchase clock oils from Merritts ( if you would rather use a clock oil.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family