Antique Clocks/Daneker Grandfather Clock

Daneker Clock
Daneker Clock  
My husband & I bought a Daneker President back in 1974.  Just hoping to get a value on it.  It is in "fair" condition.  We pulled the weights up too high, so it's not working.  Just debating on whether it is worth getting fixed based on the value.  Thank you very much!

Ebay lists a clock such as yours with a buy it now price of $550. There were no bids so apparently no one wants to pay this price or even make an offer. About 2 years ago I purchased a Westminster chime Grandmother clock not working for $75. at an estate sale. Had it been working it definitely would have sold for quite a bit more. Fortunately, this one was very easy to repair.

I am puzzled by the weights being up too high and keeping it from working. Possibly, the travel limiting chain link is jammed in the seat board and will not allow the weight to descend (if this is a chain driven clock). Some chain driven and cable driven clocks us an overwind protector which can sometimes be forced to allow winding beyond the safe limit. This then jams up and prevents the weight from descending. This is a simple matter to correct. If you care to correct this problem yourself, remove the clock face and take a picture of the movement and send it to me.

If this clock is to run again, either yourself or potential new owner would have to either repair the clock or have it repaired. If the clock has not been serviced within the last few years, it might simply need to be oiled. Someone with a little mechanical ability can do this. You can use a household oil such as sewing machine oil being certain to get a small amount of oil on each pivot point. This can generally be done without removing the movement in the case of floor clocks. A broom straw is quite useful for reaching difficult to get points.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family