Antique Clocks/Linden 31 day Regulator (Korea)

Question
The clock came with 2 long (but small in diameter, tapering from one end to the other) pieces of metal floating in the bottom of the 'pendulum box'.  They won't stay in the holes that look to be their 'home'.  No chime - the 2 hammers hit air when they shold chime.  Is it fixable, and if so, how?

Answer
It sounds like you have a bim bam clock you are wanting to repair. The tapered rod you describe, of course, are the chime bars. They are pressed in to a cast iron base but have apparently broken off. You might be able to press what is left of the bars out of the base and press what is left of the bars in to these holes. I can not guarantee what it will sound like if you do this as it is critical to achieve a harmonious chime.

Merritts (www.merritts.com) and probably Timesavers (www.timesavers.com) sell the rods and the complete chime assemblies. If you cannot find an exact match, you may have to fabricate some wood spacers - be certain everything is tight otherwise you will have problems with the chime not sounding very good.

There can be no (rattles).

Yes, it is fixable and I do not think it will cost a whole lot to replace the damaged parts. The most frequent cause of the failure you have is shipping the clock without anchoring the chime rods. The rods can generally survive a ride in the car if the clock is sitting on upholstery, however, trucking is a different matter.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams