Antique Clocks/movements of a westminister mantle clock

when was it made  it have 76 bulova watch comp. inc, twl (might be twc) 1 21 jewels made in west germany JNAL JUSTED 340-020.  thanks was wondering how do you adjust the clock? it runs to fast.. thanks again. terry

Since this clock was made in W.. Germany rather than Germany it precedes German reunification. I believe reunification occurred in 1989 so it was made before then and after the end of WWII. Other than that I have no way to date the clock more accurately.

That movement is still in production and was made by Hermle. It is a hair spring balance wheel movement and is adjusted by a lever which changes the effective length of the hair spring. The balance wheel is easy to locate on a clock as it moves back and forth rather rapidly. There is a lever on the same center as the balance wheel staff. There will probably be an S/F/ marking to indicate which way to turn the lever to slow the clock. When turned in the correct direction, the slot through which the hair spring passes will move toward the wedged anchor point.

I do not know that the Hermle movement is a 21 jewel unit, however, it is a quality clock and should give you many years of good service. Merritt's ( still sells this movement for replacement and to woodworkers who like to build cases. The balance wheel movement is quite convenient as the clock does not have to be perfectly level to run correctly as with pendulum clocks. Also, it is easier to transport as no pendulum has to be removed.

Bulova branched out quite a bit in the 70's and 80's into clocks and radios in order to give their jewelers more merchandise to sell. Everything they had seemed to be of good quality.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family