Antique Clocks/number on plate

Question
Thanks, first of all, for your willingness to help. I am trying to figure out what the number stamped on some movements means.  I have read that it is the pendulum "drop" length. What does that mean? I have tried to understand Goodrich's "modern clock" but that is way over my head. So if my Waterbury movement is stamped 5 3/8, how long should the suspension spring be?  Or is that even the right question?  Any guidance is appreciated.  Thanks, Bob

Answer
I have never known if that is for sure related to the pendulum length -but I suspect that it is for some manufacturers-I have never used it for that purpose though

my book shows a Waterbury steel plates in a gingerbread case having 5 3/8 on the leg has a beat per hour rate of 8595.92   

your question is right - not sure what your clock looks like or what pendulum it has?

these had suspension rods or "feathers" cut to length- can't be so long that the pendulum hits the bottom of the case - so start there and try it to see how it does for time with the pendulum adjustment (if it has one) centered--then just tape it on higher till you find the right spot then cut and bend to that length.

http://timesavers.com/i-8948655-003-x-18-suspension-rods-12-pack.html

Antique Clocks

Kenneth Saunders