Antique Clocks/Rutherford Grandfather Clock

Mr. Saunders,  We have a Rutherford Grandfather clock that was given to us 30+ years ago.  The back of the movement states the following ERHERD LAUNCH, UHRENTABRIK, MADE FOR EMPEROR CLOCK CO., MADE IN GERMANY and the numbers 77 275, 324 870.  We have had a problem with the weights falling off and the clock running.  We have had it repaired twice and it only ran for about 1 month before it stopped again. At this point I think it may be operator failure.  Can you make any suggestions as to what we may be doing wrong in our daily maintenance?  It is still a lovely part of our home so will keep it regardless but it would be nice to have it working.  Also, we are planning on moving soon and wondered how to pack the clock for the move.  Thank you for your help with our questions.

that is actually: Erhard Jauch, Uhrenfabrik   a #77 movement

explain the weights "falling off" ?? in the middle of the night? when you pull up the chains? do you use one hand or two when you pull the weights up? "daily" maintenance???

not running could be a "beat " or balance issue.

weights off the chains when they are 1/2 way down - pack weights in a box

twisty tie the 6 chains together as far up as you can (like a pony-tail)

put two medium rubber bands around all the black chime rods (clump together so they all stabilize each other)

unhook pendulum from just under the bottom of the dial (not from the top of the movement)-pack seperately.  

Antique Clocks

Kenneth Saunders

Any mechanical clock question - no battery clock questions and no appraisals. 47 years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner. Attach a photo if possible and note all markings on the rear of the mechanism- thanks

47+ years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner.

Comment - Of the 7 antique clock experts provided by, you, Mr. Saunders, were the ONLY one who provided the correct answer that allowed me to solve the problem for which I sought help; thanks a million!!! Comment - On a scale of 1-10, I would give Mr. Saunders a 15 on each category. His responses were clear, addressed my questions and concerns in a way that even I could understand, and even sent a picture. He explained what I had and how to resolve the issue. I was amazed at how quickly he replied to each on my e mails. He shouldn't get a gold star, he should get a whole box of them!!! Thank you Mr. Saunders, I will keep you on my e-mail "speed dial". Comment - Ken answered my question regarding how to adjust the proper striking of the hammers on my Grandfather clock within a few minutes of my sending the question to him. He answered my follow-up question the next morning. I would rate him higher if there was a number larger than ten in the selection box. Thanks again Ken Comment - I RECEIVED AN ANSWER WITHIN AN HOUR.OUTSTANDING SERVICE.YOUR RATING SHOULD BE HIGHER THAN 10. Comment - This Man is Fantastic...there is no Scale for a him...if there was...He'd beat the top of Smile....I could never ask for more ....this Man is his Score.... Comment - It's happening!! The clock has run for about 8 hours...I appreciate your quick response and clarity of directions. Thanks so much ! Kenneth really knows his stuff, he has the knowledge about where you can buy replacement parts and where to get repair service or do it yourself. I think I can fix it myself and receive the full value of my clock. He even sent me pictures of clocks like mine sold online so I could get a good idea of the value. Thank you Kenneth for responding so fast and making me feel so confident in repairing my own clock. I vote Kenneth Volunteer of the Year.