Antique Clocks/Converting OG clocks

I have been collecting clocks now for 20 years and really enjoy the hunt and coming across something new. I recently came across a clock for sale at an antique mall and wanted to ask your opinion. The clock was a nice Jerome OG clock with a wooden dial and nice original glasses looked c.1850 may be earlier. After looking carefully at the clock I noticed the weights and strings were missing. What is this I asked myself. The clock movement was converted to a time and strike spring wound movement and the clock was running after talking to the owner of the antique market. He said a long time clock chapter member had converted the clock to this. Does this devalue the clock a great deal? The clock still has all the original parts except for the clock movement. The case and glassed were in beautiful original condition. Have you heard of this before? Should I stay away from purchasing the clock if it is a marriage so to speak. Not sure. I would like to hear you opinion when you have some time. Thanks.

My daughter bought me a Seth Thomas OG about a year ago. I do not know what she paid for it. It contained the original movement and weights, original glasses as would be expected the strings were disintegrated. Since this was a birthday gift, I have no idea of the cost as she got it at an auction. Last week I went to another auction where an OG was sold. I opened the bid at $10. and no one bid against me so I purchased it. Unfortunately, it had been converted to electric operation. I am currently in the process of removing the movement from the other OG and putting it in this case, as the case is in excellent condition. Fortunately, the auctioneer was honest in telling us it had been converted and, of course, I noticed it myself before I bid. I guess the answer to your question is not having the original movement has an extreme affect on the value as I would have not gotten it for $10. had it had the original works in it. The one my daughter purchased was going to have to have a lot of restoration to the case.

I can see why someone would convert this clock as the OG's ran only 30 hours on a winding. However, I am a coniseur of clocks which are as original as possible even if I do not have the ambition to wind as often as required.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family