Antique Clocks/Eloper cuckoo clock problem

QUESTION: I have been unsuccessful at getting the fellow to go up and down his ladder that is on the front of my newly purchased farmer's daughter cuckoo clock.  Everything else used to work perfectly, including the music box and girl coming out of the window.  I don't know how the chain is supposed to interface with a black grooved rubber wheel that is on an axle behind the left bellows.  ( I think it operates the guy's movement, but I just don't see how the chain should be connected there. )  The previous owner suggested I wrap the chain around this grooved rubber wheel, which I did, and now that whole side of the clock is motionless. (So obviously that wasn't right.) Previously I had the chain fastened to the cog wheel at the top which interfaced with the girl and the music box, and everything there was working fine except the guy never moved.

Can you please help me - either by sending me pics of how that chain should be positioned or if you can explain it to me in laymen's terms?... THANK YOU SO MUCH in advance.  And Happy, Healthy New Year!

ANSWER: most operate by the chain passing beside and against the rubber wheel and turning it as the chain moves with just the passing friction.

QUESTION: So are you saying that the chain, just byhanging down on either side of this rubber grooved black wheel, should have enough friction by just touching this wheel to move the fellow up and down the ladder?  FYI: It was like that before and the man didn't move.  ( This is when the previous owner suggested I wrap the chain around that wheel which definitely isn't correct. ) Is there some kind of adjustment or something I can do to make the chain touch that wheel so there is more or at least enough friction to move the guy up and down?

( THANKS again for your help. )

ANSWER: yes I think so--take the back off and move the man up and down by hand from the front and see what has to turn in the back ---it is not the best design, btw  can you post a rear inside photo to help me remember?

QUESTION: Okay... here are a few images I had a friend take of the chain, et al, that should move the guy up and down the ladder.

Thanks for all your time and help.

it seems like I thought that the chain with the weight on it as it is going down, passes by the rubber roller and should turn the black plastic 2 lobed cam gear and lift the wire attached to the man, up and down. The wire rides on the cam gear -might need some oil on the edge of the plastic gear or some such?  

Antique Clocks

Kenneth Saunders

Any mechanical clock question - no battery clock questions and no appraisals. 47 years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner. Attach a photo if possible and note all markings on the rear of the mechanism- thanks

47+ years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner.

Comment - Of the 7 antique clock experts provided by, you, Mr. Saunders, were the ONLY one who provided the correct answer that allowed me to solve the problem for which I sought help; thanks a million!!! Comment - On a scale of 1-10, I would give Mr. Saunders a 15 on each category. His responses were clear, addressed my questions and concerns in a way that even I could understand, and even sent a picture. He explained what I had and how to resolve the issue. I was amazed at how quickly he replied to each on my e mails. He shouldn't get a gold star, he should get a whole box of them!!! Thank you Mr. Saunders, I will keep you on my e-mail "speed dial". Comment - Ken answered my question regarding how to adjust the proper striking of the hammers on my Grandfather clock within a few minutes of my sending the question to him. He answered my follow-up question the next morning. I would rate him higher if there was a number larger than ten in the selection box. Thanks again Ken Comment - I RECEIVED AN ANSWER WITHIN AN HOUR.OUTSTANDING SERVICE.YOUR RATING SHOULD BE HIGHER THAN 10. Comment - This Man is Fantastic...there is no Scale for a him...if there was...He'd beat the top of Smile....I could never ask for more ....this Man is his Score.... Comment - It's happening!! The clock has run for about 8 hours...I appreciate your quick response and clarity of directions. Thanks so much ! Kenneth really knows his stuff, he has the knowledge about where you can buy replacement parts and where to get repair service or do it yourself. I think I can fix it myself and receive the full value of my clock. He even sent me pictures of clocks like mine sold online so I could get a good idea of the value. Thank you Kenneth for responding so fast and making me feel so confident in repairing my own clock. I vote Kenneth Volunteer of the Year.