Antique Clocks/E. INGRAHAM wall clock runs fast

Question
Tom  -  you recently answered my question regarding my wall clock running about 5 minutes fast each day.  Thanks so much.  However, I forgot to ask you how long it should run after winding.  I thought it would run for 7 or 8 days, but it stops after only 3 and 1/2 days.  Once again, it is an E. Ingraham wall clock built in the 1800's.  I believe you mentioned your wife also inherited a similar clock not too long ago.  As  added information, I had the clock inspected and oiled when I first got it less than a month ago.  Thanks and I'll await your response.    Bob

Answer
My wife's clock runs a full 8 days so I assume yours should too. It is possible it would run longer if slightly off level. Listen to the beats as the clock runs and see if it is beating evenly. As a customer of mine once said, the tick to the tock and the tock to the tick should be equal in length. If they are not, use shims of some kind to get them even. It should then run longer between windings.

If the aesthetics of having the clock off level are objectionable, remove the pendulum assembly from the hook and see if the hook points hang straight down or toward one side. If it does not hang straight down, you may have to very carefully straighten the suspension spring. If this does not make the clock produce even beats while level it is necessary to bend the pallet rod. Be very careful when doing these things as you can cause damage. If you have no problem with the clock being slightly out of level just let it run the way it is.

There is a possibility some of the pivot holes in the side plates of the time gear train have worn to a teardrop shape. This causes wedging of the staff ends which increase the friction which will cause it to stop as the main spring can no longer produce maximum torque due to run down. This will probably require a professional to rebush this pivot, although I have done it using my drill press.

Bushings are available from Merritts and probably Timesavers. www.merritts.com    www.timesavers.com  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams