Antique Clocks/E. Ingraham wall clock

Tom  -  I recently inherited an E. Ingraham antique wall clock manufactured during the 1800's.  It seems to have a couple of problems which I'm hoping you can give me some corrective suggestions.  First of all, the clock runs about 5 minutes fast each day, even though I have lowered the pendulum quite a bit by adjusting the controlling screw.  Secondly, it ticks evenly for a while, then it ticks unevenly for a while, even though it is properly leveled.  My girlfriend feels it ticks rather loudly, but this is not a major concern.  Tom, any guidance you can give me will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,  Bob

Many years ago, my wife inherited a similar E. Ingraham clock when her grandfather died. I had no problem getting the clock to keep accurate time by lowering the pendulum by means of the nut under the bob. Sometimes the pendulum will not slide smoothly so be certain the bob coming down as you back the nut off. If you have to help it a little, be certain to not apply too much downward pressure as you can damage the suspension spring. A 5 minute a day gain is quite a bit so it will be necessary to lower the nut two or three turns and possibly more.

If it is ticking unevenly, this is an indication it may need to be at least oiled and possibly cleaned and oiled.  I believe you can oil it without removing the movement by simply taking the hands and face off. On ours, the face can be removed without removing the alarm disc.

We have our clock in the kitchen and I am standing outside our computer room and can hear our Ingraham ticking. Yes, it is loud and we have gotten used to it. I assume it was always this way. Most newer clocks are much quieter. I hope this helps you get acceptable performance from your clock.

You can use common household oils such as sewing machine oil or Merritts ( has oils just for this purpose if you wish to use them. Be sure to get all the pivots (bearing points) and gears.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family