Antique Clocks/Hamilton ships clock ww ll

Question
I have this clock model 21. 13 jewels.  It runs well.  It is not in a wooden box But is
Suspended under a brass upside down U shape which is mounted on a wooden platform to sit on a desk or shelf.  It can rotate on the horizontal plane.  I cannot find any pictures of this configuration.
Is this an original set up or was it made to be displayed this way in the Fter market?

It presents well.  Also there is no way to adjust time other than unscrewing bezel and carefully moving hands in clockwise manner

Than you

Answer
Ships clocks were generally mounted in the pilot house. I assume this is wound from the front. They were extremely accurate. During WWII GPS was not available although it predecessor, Loran (long range navigation), was. I do believe sextants were used, at least to some extent, to determine location, however with a sextant it was extremely important to know the time and know it accurately.

Railroad watches require the removal of the crystal and basil in order to operate a lever to set the time. I assume ships clocks probably also required the removal or opening of the basil in order to set them. This was done to prevent inadvertently moving the hands while winding the time piece.

Since most of the ships clocks were permanently mounted I suspect this clock was diverted from maritime service for some reason and made into a desk clock. These clocks are quite rare and it may be worth quite a bit of money. You might check ebay for prices as we did when we determined they are quite valuable.

I have a Chelsea yacht clock in my collection. It actually winds and sets like a pocket watch. When setting it I have turned the hands in both directions. I cannot guarantee yours can be set by turning the hand backwards, however, the clocks is most harmed by this procedure are strike and chime clocks.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams