Antique Clocks/Sessions mantle clock chimes

My Sessions mantle clock has developed the problem of periodically chiming 17 times.  When it does this the chime has then advanced one hour.  That is, at nine o'clock it chimes ten times.

This always happens at 8 o'clock? Then at 9 it strikes 10 times? I don't know why this would happen at 8 only, possibly a bent gear tooth. This problem is usually more hap-hazard and can happen at different hours. In that case it is usually levers inside that are out of adjustment. Yours is striking 8 and 9 together, giving you 17. Since it has already struck 9, it will strike 10 at 9 o'clock. You need a professional to adjust this.  

Antique Clocks

Barry W Macomber

My experience is mostly with 19th century American clocks. I can answer repair questions and can identify most clocks of this period. I cannot answer questions about non-American clocks.

Many years buying, selling, and collecting American clocks.

NAWCC 14,915

No formal education in this area.