Antique Clocks/wall clock runs fast

Barry  -  I recently inherited a E. Ingraham wall clock manufactured in the 1800's.  It seems to have several problems. First of all, no matter how low I adjust the pendulum by turning the adjustment screw, it still runs approximately 5 minutes each day.  Secondly, it ticks evenly for a while and then it ticks unevenly for a while.   Very strange, considering I made sure it is perfectly level.  Next, it is supposed to be an 8 day clock, but it only runs for about 3 and 1/2 days.  Last, my girlfriend thinks it ticks too loud and wonders if anything can be done.  But that's not a major concern.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Sincerely,  Bob

Diagnosing problems is the hardest thing for me to do without having the clock in front of me. Your symptoms indicate to me the need for cleaning and probably a bushing or two. There is something making the clock lose power and these are the most common reasons for this. These things are not DIY. You need to take it to a repairperson. As far as the loudness goes, I'm afraid the tick is what it is.

Antique Clocks

Barry W Macomber

My experience is mostly with 19th century American clocks. I can answer repair questions and can identify most clocks of this period. I cannot answer questions about non-American clocks.

Many years buying, selling, and collecting American clocks.

NAWCC 14,915

No formal education in this area.