Antique Clocks/Waltham 31 Day Chime wall Clock

Waltham 31 Day Chime Clock
Waltham 31 Day Chime C  

Waltham Clock face
Waltham Clock face  
I have a Waltham 31 Day Chime wall clock.  The chime on it is pretty loud and I was wondering is there a way to turn it down the sound of the chime or turn it off and still have the clock keep time?

I have had luck quieting the strike by putting several small postage stamp size pieces of black plastic electrical tape on the steel coiled gong at the spot where the hammer hits the gong. building up till the sound is right.

if you want no strike, then if you do not wind the left spring it will eventually stop striking

I assume there is no official lever or such that stops the hammer from hitting-can't see in the photos.

Antique Clocks

Kenneth Saunders

Any mechanical clock question - no battery clock questions and no appraisals. 47 years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner. Attach a photo if possible and note all markings on the rear of the mechanism- thanks

47+ years as a professional clock repair person- still a full time clock repair service owner.

Comment - Of the 7 antique clock experts provided by, you, Mr. Saunders, were the ONLY one who provided the correct answer that allowed me to solve the problem for which I sought help; thanks a million!!! Comment - On a scale of 1-10, I would give Mr. Saunders a 15 on each category. His responses were clear, addressed my questions and concerns in a way that even I could understand, and even sent a picture. He explained what I had and how to resolve the issue. I was amazed at how quickly he replied to each on my e mails. He shouldn't get a gold star, he should get a whole box of them!!! Thank you Mr. Saunders, I will keep you on my e-mail "speed dial". Comment - Ken answered my question regarding how to adjust the proper striking of the hammers on my Grandfather clock within a few minutes of my sending the question to him. He answered my follow-up question the next morning. I would rate him higher if there was a number larger than ten in the selection box. Thanks again Ken Comment - I RECEIVED AN ANSWER WITHIN AN HOUR.OUTSTANDING SERVICE.YOUR RATING SHOULD BE HIGHER THAN 10. Comment - This Man is Fantastic...there is no Scale for a him...if there was...He'd beat the top of Smile....I could never ask for more ....this Man is his Score.... Comment - It's happening!! The clock has run for about 8 hours...I appreciate your quick response and clarity of directions. Thanks so much ! Kenneth really knows his stuff, he has the knowledge about where you can buy replacement parts and where to get repair service or do it yourself. I think I can fix it myself and receive the full value of my clock. He even sent me pictures of clocks like mine sold online so I could get a good idea of the value. Thank you Kenneth for responding so fast and making me feel so confident in repairing my own clock. I vote Kenneth Volunteer of the Year.