Antique Clocks/Japy Freres Rococo Cartel wall clocks

I've been scouring the internet trying to find the answer to one wee question. Are the bronze walls clocks by Japy Freres, circa 1880, one of kind clocks or were the produced in numbers? Specifically, this clock...

I am going to attempt to send you a link to the History of Japy Frers clocks.

I checked ebay and found the clocks similar to yours but not exactly ranging in price from $655. to up to $2000.

Yours is unusual in that it does not have bilateral symmetry (the left side being the mirror image of the right side). The fact that it is made of cast basss or bronze would make it extremely expensive to produce only one. It may be a limited edition, however. Carving the pattern for the casting process was extremely labor intensive, hence expensive. The variable cost after the pattern is produced is reasonably low and one pattern could be used to make many clocks.

Japy Freres appears to have been a pioneer in mass producing clock movements with interchangeable parts, etc. Many times the same movement is used with various lengths of pendulums, the only difference being the number of teeth on the escape wheel. What you have is probably rather valuable and very beautiful clock. I could not find a duplicate but many may be in existance. Many more may have been melted down for scrap during WWII or possibly simply destroyed during WWII. I know when I was a small boy finding wood clocks of this vintage at the village dump which I simply took apart and played with. I wish I had some of them now.

I hope I have shed some light on your question.

P.S. The one of a kind clocks that I am most familiar with were made of wood in cabinet shops. In 1888 most used pruchased movements made by Seth Thomas and others. Wood movements were used prior to the development of sheet brass in the early 1800s.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family