Antique Clocks/Mauthe Clock

Question
I have an 8-day Mauthe Clock (the kind that chimes on the quarter hour), and it's been working well since I purchased it three years ago.  (I love the clock!)  Recently, the hour hand has become "loose" and won't move completely from one number to the next each hour.  Is this something I could try fixing myself (perhaps by gently using a long-nosed pliers) or do I have to bring the clock (currently bolted to our dining room wall) to a clock repair person?  Thanks very much in advance for your answer.

Answer
Repairing your problem is very simple. The hour hand is pushed on to a tapered sleeve which holds it and drives it. Place the hour hand in the correct position relative to the chime and the minute hand and push it toward the face using both thumb nails. Press it firmly but not too hard and this should solve your problem.

If the clock is chiming the wrong hour or does not point at an hour when the minute hand is straight up, simply pull the hour hand back off with your fingernails and reinstall it in the correct position.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams