Antique Clocks/Sessions Clock chimes

My session clock chimes at the 4 o'clock position not at the 12 o'clock position. It does chime at the 6 o'clock position 1 time as it should. How do I make the thing chime at the proper times?

I think you have a poltergeist in your clock.  Seriously, if you have a bell that rings at the 1/2 hour there are two different chiming mechanisms in this clock. If it chimes once at the 1/2 hour, then the same devise controls both chimes.  It is not going to be easy to explain what you have to do to correct the problem but here goes.

Let's try the easy fix first.  Sometimes the bushing on the minute hand will come loose and slip.  This can be repaired by aligning the hand correctly on the bushing and either peening the hand to the bushing or super glue will also work.  If this were the problem it usually makes the 1/2 hour off as well.  Check it and see if it is loose before going further.

The other fix is not nearly as easy.  If you open the back of the clock you should be able to locate the main hand shaft.  Move the minute hand and watch which shaft moves.   On that shaft there should be two bent rods that actuate the chime rods.  They should be located 180 degrees from each other.  The one rod actuates the 1/2 hour and the other actuates the hour strike.  It sounds like one rod is bent and is actuating too late.  That rod has to be bent back so that the hour actuates when it is on the 12.  If these rods are at 180 degrees from each other you may have a different problem.
You can also bend the rod that is actuated by the main shaft rod.  

I hope that I have made some sense and that you can understand what I am trying to say.  If not, please take the clock in to a clock repair shop as it is not an easy procedure to get correct.

Let me know how you do with the adjustment and I will see if I can help further.

Please visit our web site:

Antique Clocks

I will answer any clock repair questions to the best of my ability but not appraisal questions.

I have been repairing mechanical and electric clocks for over 25 years.

I am a current expert in the small appliance catagory.

BS Education

We have been in business in the Madison, Wi. area for over 30 years.