Antique Clocks/Zaanham clock reair

I recently bought a reproduction Zaanham clock at an antique store in Bremanhaven, Germany or 40 Euro. The owner did not know if it worked but because I like to tinker with weight driven clocks and because I loved the clock I had to have it. when I got home to my surprise I fund that it was a battery driven mechinisim. With a fresh battery it will chime on the hour and half hour but will not keep time. can you please tell me if and where i can buy a new mechinisim ? Thank You

New movements are available from Merritts ( and Timesavers ( They feature a wide variety of different quarts/battery movements with both strike and chime features. There is even one where you can program a song into it to identify the time of day. I would consult the online catalog and find one that meets your needs.

In my clock collection I have a couple of battery powered electric movements which use a hair spring and balance wheel for keeping time. These preceded the quartz crystal movements. I happen to like them as they are stage of the evolution toward quartz/crystal clocks. Since it uses a hair spring the beat rate is adjustable. It is not as accurate as the quartz movements, however, I would recommend you check and see if you have this kind of movement. Possibly all it needs is an adjustment of the beat rate. If it is a quartz movement the simplest thing is to replace the entire mechanism as they are relatively inexpensive.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family