Antique Clocks/antique japanese chiming wall clock

Hi I just recently received a antique japanese wall clock. Is there anyway to get it to stop chiming without having to stop the pendulum? It chimes ever half hour 10 times and once for every hour. Thank you

Most striking clocks can be silenced by simply not winding the strike spring. If you are not sure which is the strike spring simply wind only one spring the next time you wind the clock. If the clocks stops in a few days you know that is the time side and wind that one and not the other.

Another way of silencing the chime is to tie the strike hammer(s) up so they cannot hit the chiming device. A twistie or rubber band can be used for this purpose.

It sounds like there is something wrong with the strike mechanism if it always chimes 10 o'clock also, it sounds like you hands are in synchronization with the chime as it should sound only once on the half hour. If you would like to correct this please send me a photograph or two of the movement. However, if you would prefer to not have it chime anyway simply try not winding the chime side.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family