Antique Clocks/grandfather clock

Question
i just got this clock know nothing about them. i have been looking on the net for imformation. one place said that whenever you had to work on one, you had to reset the chains.they said how to do it but i can't get the middle chain to go back around to drop to the floor. the two out side ones were easy does this have to be done every time and how do you get the middle one to come back around?

Answer
The center chain is always the most difficult to thread on. First, determine with a small screw driver pushing on the sprocket which direction the sprocket turns when you are winding it. Then install the end of the chain on a couple of teeth in this sprocket. Hold the movement in its normal position or a little off so the chain will stay on the sprocket teeth and rotate the sprocket with the small screwdriver. After the chain is a bit past the midpoint be certain the clock is in its operating position and continue to turn the sprocket. The chain should eventually start dropping off the sprocket and you can grab it with your fingers. Then go ahead and reinstall the movement onto the seat board.

I personally prefer not to remove the chains from the clock unless absolutely necessary, when doing minor work such as cleaning and lubricating. The chains are long enough for you to be able to move the movement a couple of feet from the case and thereby eliminate the possibility of getting cleaning solvents and oil on the case finish.

As you install the weights, you may find one is heavier than the other two. The heavier one is generally installed on the Westminster chime chain.

I hope this has been helpful to you. Good luck!!  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams