Antique Clocks/1890 mantel shelf clock

Question
We have a clock from about the 1890's and we had it in for cleaning etc. Now the hour bong and the half hour ding is 15 minutes fast. How can we set the time so that it will hourly dong and do the half an hour ding?

Answer
It sounds like the hands were installed incorrectly on your clock. What you have to do is remove the nut or tapered pin which holds the minute hand on its staff, then remove the minute hand. Then reinstall the minute hand correctly locking it in place with the nut or tapered pin.

If the hour hand does not point at the hour at the same time the minute hand is straight up, gently nudge it in the appropriate direction so it indicates correctly. The hour hand is on a taper and it may be necessary to gently pull it off slightly so as to not damage it when turning.

The above procedure assumes the end of the minute hand staff is square and fits in a square hole in the minute hand. If this is not the case, please feel free to get back with me.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams