Antique Clocks/Chimes out of sync

We have a Colonial Mfg grandfather clock that is approximately 35 years old. Recently, a very peculiar chiming glitch has happened. The chimes will strike perfectly at 12 and 1 o'clock. At 2 and 3 o'clock the chimes miss one time each. At 2 o'clock the chimes ring only once. At 3 o'clock it rings only twice. 4, 5, 6 and 7 o'clock it rings perfectly then at 8 o'clock it rings 7 times and at 9 o'clock it rings 8 times. 10, and 11 o'clock it rings perfectly. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Some movements have an hour strike mechanism that has to pivot to the correct hour and sometimes they get sticky and do not drop as they should.  I do not know if your movement has this type of strike counter or not but you will have to take the face off of the movement to tell.  If you find that it does and it is sticking, you will have to remove the mechanism and clean the shaft so it will drop correctly.  If I can be of more help, please contact me.  

Please visit our web page:

Antique Clocks

I will answer any clock repair questions to the best of my ability but not appraisal questions.

I have been repairing mechanical and electric clocks for over 25 years.

I am a current expert in the small appliance catagory.

BS Education

We have been in business in the Madison, Wi. area for over 30 years.