Antique Clocks/1974 Seth Thomas Quartzmatic Mantle Clock?

Seth Thomas
Seth Thomas  
What can you tell me about this Seth Thomas Quartzmatic mantle clock that belonged to my grandmother?

Seth Thomas is a very old company having been started before the Civil War. They manufactured primarily mantle clocks and wall clocks. In the late 1930's they merged with Westclox of LaSalle, Illinois and formed the General Time Instruments Company. This name was eventually shortened to General Time Corporation.

By 1974 most manufacturing was moved to a suburb of Atlanta, GA, and they manufactured there and in other factories around the world. They were originally located in Plymouth, Massachusetts. Plymouth was renamed Thomaston since Seth Thomas was the largest employer in town. It was only, just recently, that General Time stopped all manufacturing in Thomaston.

Your quartz movement clock was a very early use of electronic oscillator technology in a clock low enough in price that people could actually afford. Quartz clocks are extremely popular today because of their extreme accuracy.

I believe that case style you have is called a Bracket Clock. I believe I have also heard of it being called a Carriage Clock. In my collection I have a Seth Thomas clock which looks identical to yours. However, mine is mechanical and uses a balance wheel movement. It has to be wound once a week. Stamped on the movement of my clock it says it was made in Germany by Seth Thomas. You might want to check on yours to see if you can find a country of origin.

Because of the uniqueness of these movements, vendors on google are wanting $100-$200 for these clocks. It would be a good idea to hang onto this and may become very valuable some day.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family