Antique Clocks/19802 Pearl Grandfather Clock Value

Pearl Grandfather
Pearl Grandfather  

Can you give me the approximate value of this clock?

I checked with ebay and they had one with a "buy it now" price of $900. New Howard Miller clocks go for between 1200 and 4000 dollars depending upon how ornate the case is.

Pearl does not appear to still be in business. Possibly it was bought out by Howard Miller who today seems to dominate the grandfather clock sale scene. It appears they were located in Memphis. TN. They built only the case of the clock purchasing movements from vendors such as Hermle. Some movements appear to have been date coded, other movements have no markings that would indicate the age.

I am including an article which appeared in the Chicago Tribune in 1989.

Time Has Stood Still For Grandfather Clocks
Traditional Styles Rank First
June 07, 1987|By Dylan Landis, Chicago Tribune.
HIGH POINT, N.C. ����uck in the Dallas airport one afternoon, Jim Pearl started chatting up a downcast attorney who had missed a connecting flight.
And what business are you in? asked the uptight attorney.
Grandfather clocks, Pearl said.
All the lines melted suddenly off the lawyers face. Thats nice, he exclaimed.

Few household purchases are as unusual, and as emotional, as a grandfather clock. Its roots, heritage, says Pearl, president of Pearl Grandfather Clocks. People dont buy one because its a decorative accessory. They buy it because of what it represents--a very strong tie to the past.
With that nostalgic tug, it makes sense that grandfather clock styles have barely budged over the decades.
For example, some manufacturers showed new country-style models at the Southern Furniture Market here in April. But most of these country clocks were made of traditional dark oak, with carvings of flowers or wheat stalks on the clocks pediment, or roof.
Only a couple came in bleached oak or scrubbed pine, the hottest finishes for country furniture.
Dick Pierce, vice president of sales for the Baldwin Piano & Organ Co.s clock division, says of the scrubbed pine look: Were looking at it, and well watch it, but it doesnt dictate what well do.
Moving at this cautious pace, clock designers did make one alteration over the last 30 or 40 years. They got rid of the pinched-waist clock, with its narrow midsection, and replaced it with the straight-sided clock.
And, periodically, someone brings out a modern grandfather clock. Ridgeway Clocks Co. once tried one with a plexiglass case. They didnt last, says Lee H. Houston Jr., general manager of Ridgeway. They made it to one market, and that was it. The Sligh Furniture Co. now has a single glass-and-brass floor clock in its line.
Nearly everything else--and there are hundreds of different grandfather clocks for sale--is traditional, done in cherry or oak.
At retail discount prices, it is possible to buy a basic floor clock for $299. Ridgeways cheapest has a suggested list price of $900, although most dealers sell it for less, the company says. Called Ratcliffe, it has a brass face that says Tempus Fugit, a pendulum the size of a saucer and a chime like a musical doorbell.
One step up is the $1,300 Burbank, with a moon phase dial, a pendulum the size of adinner plate and a clearer chime.
For $2,970 Ridgeway sells the Bellaire, with a more handsome moon face and side doors that open to reveal the workings of the clock.
And for $3,860, the Atlantis offers a silencer to quell the deep, clear chimes from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m.
According to Houston, its not the quality of the clock but its details
--side doors, beveled glass insets, clarity of chimes, and size--that increase with price.
Once you hit a thousand dollars, he says, its really a matter of style.
Most grandfather clocks end up in households with incomes over $35,000, but manufacturers say the buyers arent rich. They buy the clocks as family gifts, to commemorate a marriage or anniversary. And most of the time, its a woman who decides to buy.

I apologize for not getting back to you earlier but we were gone on vacation.  Hope this helps you.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family