Antique Clocks/Jacques Hall Clock

Question
I have a 9 tube Jacques Hall Clock that had all the tubes removed and the sequence of the tubes was never written down. The tubes were reinstalled using the longest to shortest tubes from left to right when facing the clock. When the chimes play the proper tones/notes are not correct.

Can you please provide the correct tube sequencing for the 9 tubes of the Jacques Hall Clock?

Thanking you in advance,

Tom

Answer
The fact that your clock uses 9 tubes makes me suspect it plays a Whittington chime. If it does it will have 8 hammers operating the chime. The 9th tube will be used for the strike function, possibly one or more of the chime tubes will also be struck for the hour strike function.

For esthetic purposes they probably have the longest tube in the center and hang progressively shorter tubes toward the outside. Once I know if this is a Westminster or Whittington I can give you a procedure for correctly installing the tubes. Unfortunately, I do not have a manual or instruction sheet for this clock so we will have to identify the note played by the various tubes and arrange them correctly.

At any rate, give me an idea as to how many hammers are used for the strike and how many are used for the chime functions.

You can respond to our home e-mail if you wish. mapawms@aol.com or via the allexperts site.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams