Antique Clocks/Black Slate Antique Clock

Front View
Front View  

Inside View
Inside View  
Hi, I was hoping you could help me identify this clock.  It is made of Black Slate and very heavy. Looks to have blue marble design inserts on the four corners of the front that matches a blue design on the face. Was purchased in 2011 from an antique shop.  Unfortunately they did not have any information on it.  I have included two pictures: Front view of the clock and the inside.  On the face of the clock it states it is made by Geo. W Smith & Co.  
Thank you for your time.

This is a French clock. It was made by Jape Freres, a very well known and prolific maker from the mid to late 19 century. The emblem on the back says they won a medal of honor. It does not say where but it was probably at an "Exhibition" or what we now call a World's Fair. These slate clocks are the forerunners of the common American wood and cast iron black  mantel clocks. The French ones are higher quality and were more expensive. Geo. W Smith was the American retailer. I "Googled" George W Smith and found he owned a furniture store in Philadelphia. Here is a link to the article I found. I don't know if this will work as a link. You may have to copy and paste it into your browser. Nice clock!

Antique Clocks

Barry W Macomber

My experience is mostly with 19th century American clocks. I can answer repair questions and can identify most clocks of this period. I cannot answer questions about non-American clocks.

Many years buying, selling, and collecting American clocks.

NAWCC 14,915

No formal education in this area.