Antique Clocks/Grand father clock

My grand mother has this clock and the chains with the chimes are not on the rotated wheel I'm not knowledgeable about this clock was hoping you could atleast help me identify what this is and maybe I can YouTube how to fix the chains. Thank you for your time.

Stringing the chains onto the sprockets requires removing the movement from the case. If some of the chains are still intact, be certain they cannot come off or remove the weight(s) from the chains. The sprockets which require chains will ratchet in one direction, place the end of the chain which does not have the weight hook on it over that sprocket, holding the movement upside down as you do this. Turn the sprocket with a small screwdriver so the chain winds onto the sprocket., turning the movement right side up as you do this. Pull a little bit of chain through, repeat this process to any other chain and sprocket combinations which need to be reinstalled.

As you are doing this be careful not to let any of the already installed chains (balling up) on their sprockets. Sometimes I use a small wire to tie the two chains together close to their respective sprockets. The movement should now be ready for installation onto the seat board. You may have to remove the weight hook from one end to install the chain through the seat board holes.

After you have reinstalled the movement either purchase or make stop rings and place these on the slack ends of the chain. These should be large enough that they will not go through the seat boaed holes. And allow the chain to come off the sprockets again.

While you are at it you might lubricate the clock. Household oils such as sewing machine oil is good for this. Merritts and Timesavers also sell oils for this purpose if you wish to purchase them.

If you have any more questions feel free to contact me again

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams

I can not think of any questions I cannot answer in regard to repairing antique clocks or radios. However, I am sure there are a few I have not heard and may not be able to answer. If I cannot, I will say so. I have been repairing them since I was a young child.

My experience includes repairing CooKoo clocks, Westminsters, BimBam, almost all antique clocks. I do a bit of repair on battery clocks where the value is sufficient to warrant working on them. I also repair antique (tube type) radios - all makes.

Indiana Historical Radio Society, Illinois Valley Antique Car Club, Military Vehicle Preservation Association

BEE from Cleveland State University

Four patents.

Friends and family