Antique Clocks/regulate mantle clock

Question
I have just received from my sister's estate a Schmeckbedher 1050-20 mantle clock that is loosing about 3-4 minutes in 24 hours. Can you tell me how to regulate it?

Answer
Most mantle clocks built during the last 70 years have an adjustment nut below the pendulum bob. The nut is knurled for easy turning with your fingers. Turning it clockwise viewed from the bottom of the clock will cause the clock to run faster. This is because it shortens the pendulum slightly. On clocks where the pendulum is accessible from the front, this is very convenient, however, when the pendulum is at the rear of the clock the pendulum rating assembly is adjustable only after opening the rear door.

Many of the older mantle clocks had a small arbor hole near the 12 o'clock numeral. To change the beat rate of the clock, you inserted the small end of the winding key and turned it toward the F or S to change the effective length of the pendulum.  

Antique Clocks

Tom Williams